mixture / exhaust tone

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: mixture / exhaust tone
From: Colin Thom <colinthom@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 21:29:15 -0700
Hi Gang,
I've got a 2-piece header, which helps me to determine which carb is
sounding lean or rich when I listen to the exhaust. Here's my problem:
The tail-pipe for the header piece for cylinders 1-3 is emitting a very
erratic popping sound, which tells me #1 carb is running lean. The tail
pipe for cylinders 4-6 has a nice smooth note at idle.no pops, regular
or irregular. This tells me that #2 carb's mixture is OK. When I adjust
the mixture anywhere from full lean to full rich on #1 carb, my
irregular/erratic popping sound in the tailpipe stays more or less the
same. Doing the lift-the-airvalve-test on #1 carb, the idle goes up
slightly, and then drops quite a bit. This would seem to indicate that
the mixture of #1 carb is about right. Any comments? Can something other
than mixture be causing this erratic popping out of one of the
tailpipes? Many thanks-Colin at colinthom@shaw.ca