Re: Mixture/exhaust tone

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Mixture/exhaust tone
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 11:32:44 -0700
Colin---Because of the crossover tube in the intake manifold, it's
possible for one carb to be doing most of the work. Even tho one half of
your exhaust note indiicates that the carburetor feeding it is correct,
it could well be that this is the one to readjust. Remember your
starting position with the adjustment, if you want to return to it.

Taking the top off of both carbs and noting the position of the needles
in relation to their air valves could tell you if they're not relatively
even. Or you could adjust them both "full rich" and lean them down with
even turns.

Dick

Colin wrote:
Hi Gang,
I've got a 2-piece header, which helps me to determine which carb is
sounding lean or rich when I listen to the exhaust. Here's my problem:
The tail-pipe for the header piece for cylinders 1-3 is emitting a very
erratic popping sound, which tells me #1 carb is running lean. The tail
pipe for cylinders 4-6 has a nice smooth note at idle.no pops, regular
or irregular. This tells me that #2 carb's mixture is OK. When I adjust
the mixture anywhere from full lean to full rich on #1 carb, my
irregular/erratic popping sound in the tailpipe stays more or less the
same. Doing the lift-the-airvalve-test on #1 carb, the idle goes up
slightly, and then drops quite a bit. This would seem to indicate that
the mixture of #1 carb is about right.

Any comments? Can something other than mixture be causing this erratic
popping out of one of the tailpipes? Many thanks-Colin at
colinthom@shaw.ca