RE: Rewinding 15ARC alternator?

To: "Rick & Lori" <trinitygadget@alltel.net>, <DANMAS@aol.com>,
Subject: RE: Rewinding 15ARC alternator?
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 14:53:42 -0700
        Rick:

        Generators can also be used as a DC motor. Alternators cannot be
used as a motor.
Many of the new cars are starting to integrate some functionality into
the electrical power generation; For example, one could use the
generator as the starter, and then switch over to the generator mode
once the engine is running. It is even possible to use the generator as
a supplemental source of power for the engine - e.g. when going uphill
you supply juice from the battery to the generator and add some extra hp
to supplement the engine. This would require a hefty generator, but it
can be done. Hybrid cars do this, for example.
        So with modern electronics, a generator/starter/motor unit is
very feasible and saves a few pounds from the vehicles weight. A nifty
piece of engineering, if it is cheap enough and reliable. Time will
tell.

        Cheers,

        Vance