RE: Distributor Question

To: 6-Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>, John Mitchell <jmitch@snet.net>,
Subject: RE: Distributor Question
From: "Shawn J. Loseke" <sloseke@holly.colostate.edu>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 12:32:21 -0600
>===== Original Message From John Mitchell <jmitch@snet.net> =====
John, that orientation of the distributor seems correct. Your damper pulley
could be misleading you though. Make sure that TDC is correct on the damper
pulley. The damper pulley has a rubber isolator that can fail when it gets to
old and brittle. If it cracks all the way around then the outer section of the
pulley can move and your timing marks on the pulley won't mean a thing in
relation to the actual timing anymore.

Shawn J. Loseke
1972 TR6
Fort Collins, CO

>Hi Folks,   This is gonna sound strange, but Ive had my TR6 2 years and
>today I put a timing light on it for the first time.  It's running fine,
>other than a slight buck at constant speed cruise(like 40).  I decided
>it was time for a Carb rebuild, but thought that I would get the
>ignition set up perfectly before messing with the carbs.  I made a chalk
>mark at 12 BTDC and unplugged the vacuum retard and plugged it.  With
>the timing light on #1 the mark is 2" or 3" past the pointer.  I had to
>turn the distributor CCW to get it anywhere near the mark at which point
>it was running very rough and back firing.   I moved it back to where it
>was and bolted down for now.  The vacuum unit is pointed at the drivers
>side door(like 1 o'clock if 12 is the rear of the engine.  Number 1 plug
>wire terminal on the cap is toward the front of the engine.  Im just
>wondering if this means the Distributor is 180 degress off.   I guess I
>can always time by trial and error and listen for ping, but I'd kinda
>like to set things right before changing the carbs and adding a whole
>new set of variables.    I sure this will be an easy one for you guys.
>Thanks in advance
>                                       John Mitchell  76TR6

Check out the new British Cars Forum: