Re: Modern alternative for Delft Blue

To: Mickylong@aol.com, 6pack@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Modern alternative for Delft Blue
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 22:06:54 -0400
Hi Mickey,

As far as I know, many or maybe all of the old colors are not available
in 2 stage. They give you what they call a blendable match. What that
means is that a professional painter can use it to do a patch repair and
feather the color into the rest of the original paint -- that is he does
not stop at the edge of a body panel. He then clear coats and does stop
at the edge of a body panel.

Supposedly the color match is close enough that you can't tell. My body
shop specializes in street rods and 40's and 50's restorations and does
it all the time. He says it always works.

My car is Royal Blue 56 and they gave me a Chrysler color Night Watch
Blue I believe it is called. I have seen several TR250s and a TR4 in
Night Watch Blue and it looks like 56 Royal Blue to me.

Don Malling

Mickylong@aol.com wrote:
> Has anyone come across a modern paint equivalant to the '74 Delft Blue used
> on the 6?
>
> I'm very close to actually getting color on my 6 and just when I thought I
> had decided on Emerald or Conifer, I saw a couple of 6's done in Delft Blue
> that  looked very nice.  Since I've never owned a blue car I thought about
>giving
>  it a try.  Here's the problem...my paint supplier says that it isn't
> available either in the PPG or Dupont books as a two stage system which I
>want  to
> use.  They show a cross reference to a Ford Royal Blue and my supplier  was g
> ood enough to give me 1/2 pint to try but it looks very dark.  Haven't
>sprayed
> it yet and I assume it will lighten a bit but it looks very dark in the  can.
>
> Any suggestions ?
>
> Micky Long
> '72 TR6

Check out the new British Cars Forum: