RE: Modern alternative for Delft Blue

To: "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Modern alternative for Delft Blue
From: "Rick" <patton@suscom-maine.net>
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2004 02:14:36 -0400
Hi Mickey,

My 75 is Delft Blue. Like you I had trouble finding a formula to match the
original enamel color in a base coat/clear coat finish. The formula for
Delft from NAPA (Martin Senour or Sherwin Williams) is 99-22158 in acrylic
enamel. There is no formula for the same color in base/clear. For my car we
used a spectrometer on an unfaded section and came up with 98-60257 in
base/clear. The match is very close and it turns out the color is, of all
things, a Mack Truck fleet color. Maybe it is telling me something about
autocrossing this car?

Anyway the color looks pretty close, perhaps just a tad light. There are
pictures of my car on the web site and some painting info but be warned the
Delft Blue on the web site appears much much lighter than it is in real
life. Hope the site is back up after a spell of server difficulties. Try:
http://topshamautoparts.com/tr6/paint.htm  If the site doesn't respond just
keep trying as they are working on the server this weekend.

Rick Patton
75 Delft Blue TR6
http://topshamautoparts.com/tr6

'72 TR6

> Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 18:12:13 EDT
> From: Mickylong@aol.com
> Subject: Modern alternative for Delft Blue
>
> Has anyone come across a modern paint equivalant to the '74 Delft
> Blue used
> on the 6?
>
> I'm very close to actually getting color on my 6 and just when I
> thought I
> had decided on Emerald or Conifer, I saw a couple of 6's done in
> Delft Blue
> that  looked very nice.  Since I've never owned a blue car I
> thought about giving
>  it a try.  Here's the problem...my paint supplier says that it isn't
> available either in the PPG or Dupont books as a two stage system
> which I want  to
> use.  They show a cross reference to a Ford Royal Blue and my
> supplier  was g
> ood enough to give me 1/2 pint to try but it looks very dark.
> Haven't  sprayed
> it yet and I assume it will lighten a bit but it looks very dark
> in the  can.
>
> Any suggestions ?
>
> Micky Long
> '72 TR6