TR250 Propeller shaft spline

To: 6-Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>,
Subject: TR250 Propeller shaft spline
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2004 12:46:57 -0400
I was cleaning up my propeller shaft with gasoline and a brush prior to
painting it and replacing the U-Joints. After some cleaning with the
gasoline, I discovered the yoke started sliding in and out. I had
previously thought that the dust cap was some sort of length adjustment,
and it was a fixed length affair because of the IRS -- didn't need a
spline.

Anyway, only Haynes shows a diagram of the propeller shaft, and it shows
what appears to be a fiber or leather washer inside the spline or behind
the dust cap. I also noted there is a plugged grease fitting hole in the
joke. It was never been greased.

At this point, because of the gasoline cleaning I assume I should remove
the yoke and clean it up and regrease it. I don't see a source for the
replacement fiber or leather washer if that's what's in there. Anything
I should know before I take it apart? Any known sources for this
fiber/leather washer?

Thanks

Don Malling

Check out the new British Cars Forum: