Re: TR250 Propeller shaft spline

To: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Subject: Re: TR250 Propeller shaft spline
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2004 13:16:08 -0400
Hmmm.... Looks like the spline is made such that the dust cap and
washers will not fit past the spline -- can't remove the dust cap or
washers. There is a fiber/leather washer in there. Is it split so that
it can be replaced? I'm starting to wonder about the advisability of
bead blasting this thing -- kind'a concerned about this fiber washer and
replacing it or cleaning it.

Any ideas?

Don Malling

Don Malling wrote:
> I was cleaning up my propeller shaft with gasoline and a brush prior to
> painting it and replacing the U-Joints. After some cleaning with the
> gasoline, I discovered the yoke started sliding in and out. I had
> previously thought that the dust cap was some sort of length adjustment,
> and it was a fixed length affair because of the IRS -- didn't need a
> spline.
>
> Anyway, only Haynes shows a diagram of the propeller shaft, and it shows
> what appears to be a fiber or leather washer inside the spline or behind
> the dust cap. I also noted there is a plugged grease fitting hole in the
> joke. It was never been greased.
>
> At this point, because of the gasoline cleaning I assume I should remove
> the yoke and clean it up and regrease it. I don't see a source for the
> replacement fiber or leather washer if that's what's in there. Anything
> I should know before I take it apart? Any known sources for this
> fiber/leather washer?
>
> Thanks
>
> Don Malling

Check out the new British Cars Forum: