More U-Joint problems

To: 6-Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>,
Subject: More U-Joint problems
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 00:07:23 -0400
More beginner's problems.

Bently makes this sound so easy.... Just tap the yoke with a hammer and
remove the cup with your fingers...

Feeling kind'a inadequate here...

I've pressed the U-Joint to one side as far as it will go and then
worked the exposed cup out with a vise grips. I guess Bently would say I
have weak fingers. He must be really strong. :-)

I pushed the U-Joint far enough that the shoulder of the U-Joint started
to hit the inside of the yoke. At that point, the cup I was pushing on
cleared the inside of the yoke. I had assumed that
once the exposed cup was removed, I could just tilt the U-Joint out and
be done, but that's not the case. It appears that I now have to push the
U-Joint back the other direction and remove the cup with the vise grips
when it imerges. Since the cup I pushed on has cleared the inside of the
joke, I'm a little worried about getting it lined up and started back
through. But it was late and I did try it.

Did I make a mistake by pushing the U-joint too far -- so far that the
cup I pushed on cleared the inside of the joke?

Thanks,

Don Malling

Check out the new British Cars Forum: