RE: More U-Joint problems

To: "'Greg Dito'" <dito9561@bellsouth.net>,
Subject: RE: More U-Joint problems
From: "Steve Hanselman" <tr6@kc4sw.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 07:16:18 -0700
Don,

While hammering them out is one way, the easiest way is to press them
out using a vise and a couple of sockets for tools.  The problem with
hammering is if you miss one time and hit the yoke the metal will "move"
possibly making it very difficult to get the cup past the hole.  I have
had some u-joints (not on a TR though) that took a 5 ton press to push
them out.

If yours are like mine you'll find that the fit is very tight and the
cups have to be persuaded to come out of the web area.  I also had a
heck of a time getting the new ones in.  No matter how much grease I
preloaded in the cup I managed to catch one of the rollers and knock it
sideways.  This of course only becomes apparent when it is completely
put together

Stephen Hanselman

From: "Don Malling"
> Bently makes this sound so easy.... Just tap the yoke with a hammer
and
> remove the cup with your fingers...

Check out the new British Cars Forum: