Re: More U-Joint problems

To: "Don Malling" <dmallin@attglobal.net>, "6-Pack"
Subject: Re: More U-Joint problems
From: "Greg Dito" <dito9561@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 02:42:17 -0400
Don,

Maybe "tapping" works for some, but I've never had that simple pleasure.
Using a hammer or small steel mallet (not lead or plastic) cradle the yoke
as shown in Bentley and just keep on smacking the curved area of the yoke
fairly hard right behind the cup.  Don't worry - the yoke is steel and is
not going to break.  When I say striking the yoke "hard" it does not mean
full extended arm swings like you're a blacksmith doing horseshoes.  I'd
estimate that I pulled the hammer back maybe 12 inches each swing.

The cup next to the hammer blows will begin to creep out.  The initial
movement may be very slight or not at all so don't give up too early.  If
the top of the cup is past the circlip groove than you know you're making
progress.  Should nothing happen then try a penetrant and let it sit for a
day before trying again.  Punch out the last, or fourth cup from the inside
as the u-joint can be removed once three cups are removed.

I managed to remove all six of my u-joints by hammering the yokes with nary
a problem.  A few needed time, others started moving immediately.  My
"cradling" hand was a bit sore, but I got them out.

Greg Dito
CD6250L