Chapter 2 on TR6 Transmission--Reverse gear grinder

To: <tr6taylor@webtv.net>
Subject: Chapter 2 on TR6 Transmission--Reverse gear grinder
From: <Gary.Oehrle@infineon.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 09:24:50 -0700
To all

Over the weekend I did some experimentation which has lead me
to now start pulling the transmission and have a look at the
fork, pins and cross bolt etc.  I have been reluctant to accept
this was my problem since four or five years ago I had put in a
new clutch, bearing and fork with additional cross bolt and have
probably
less the 5,000 miles on.

Basically, In Nelson Riedel article " TR250/TR6 Clutch Hydraulics
Overhaul"
article he speaks of buying a 76 TR6 with a extend salve and rod setup
to buy pass a broken fork. I incrementally inserted some washer (up to
0.25"
worth) between the slave and its mounting bracket with the slave rod in
the top hole as
well. When it would still not dis-engage, I put the car in gear (forward

and reverse) and attempted to free the clutch.  This was the second time
of
doing this and on the fourth attempt the clutch dis-engaged and worked
fine.
Thinking my problem was solved, I took out the washers and moved the rod
to the center hole.  No such luck.  Just like before (reverse grinding
and
a brick wall in trying to get in 1st or 2nd gear.  So back in went the
0.25" of washer and the top hole and it was working again with just a
little
grinding into reverse.

So while I dive into the belly of the beast, I will read the additional
articles on  www.buckeyetriumphs.org/ to begin the process of which
clutch, which bearing, etc. and in the process rebuild the MC and
convert
the fluid to silicon as the brakes are already using silicon fluid and
read about end float on the transmission.

Much thanks for the feedback and suggestions to this point,   I will
keep you
posted.

Gary Oehrle

ps.  at least the TR3 is running Great!!!

Gary Oehrle
Office Phone 408-501-6896
Cell Phone 408-718-1175