Re: Chapter 3 on TR6 Transmission--Reverse gear grinder

To: Gary.Oehrle@infineon.com, 6pack@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Chapter 3 on TR6 Transmission--Reverse gear grinder
From: Todd Bermudez <red_tr250@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 11:19:00 -0700 (PDT)
Gary,

I'm not impressed with the B&B, but thats' me.

Make SURE you follow the directions that come with the
Gunst Bearing.  It is critical that you line the
gearbox properly.  Otherwise the bearing may "hang
up".  Easily fixed if it does, but just something you
don't want to have to tackle after having just swapped
the clutch...ask me how i know!

Todd
--- Gary.Oehrle@infineon.com wrote:

> to All
>
> the transmission was pulled last night:
>
> Clutch: Sachs type MF215   Koyo bearing
>
> In short refer to Nelson Riedel article
> "TR250/TR6 Clutch Release Bearing Woes"
> or "TR250/TR6 Reliable Clutch" since the
> clutch finger wear is identical to that pictured
> there. In fact I would wager Murry Mercier and I
> have the same number of miles after the last
> rebuild!!!
>
> In addition, we noticed wear on the fork pins
> (assuming they were round when install new
> several years back. The pilot bushing was a
> little wobbly and the throw out sleeve was
> a little wobbly on the transmission front cover.
> (but not near as shown in the "Sticky Clutch"
> article.
>
> No elongation in the slave fork but some in the
> master fork.  Bearing Fork was not cracked or broke
> but can
> not say for sure if it was not bent.  Taper pin and
> cross bolt intact.
>
> In summary nothing obvious and now thinking it is
> the summation of wear on the clutch fingers, master
> fork etc. etc. etc. just like so many other TR6s!!
>
> at this point the plan is to start a rebuilding
> 1. clutch shaft and bushings
> 2. fork and taper pin  plus cross pin
> 3. transmission front cover, seal etc
> 4. the Throw-out bearing and sleeve
>               Gunst--per Nelson Riedel's article
> 5. new clutch
>               Sachs (assuming a still lower
>                       release force over Luk and B&B
> 6. new pilot bushing and rear engine seal.
>               yep a little engine oil leaking
> 7. new fork on master plus rebuild it as well.
> (hopefully someone
>    sells just the fork!!
>
> Comments, feedback and editorials are welcome
>

> Also: I would appreciate any and all feedback about
> changing
> to the aluminum flywheels.
>

> Thanks this far to: Chris Wehling for the help in
> the warm garage as it
> was 103F yesterday in Livermore CA and Nelson Riedel
> and his
> articles on http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/. And all
> those how have
> provided there earlier comments and feedback.
>

> Gary Oehrle
>
> Watch for Chapter 4.  "Did the rebuild work!!!"

Check out the new British Cars Forum: