Re: FW: Brake Fluid types

To: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Subject: Re: FW: Brake Fluid types
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 14:23:30 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 12 Aug 2004, Navarrette, Vance wrote:

>     Folks:
>
>     Forwarded to the list per Mike's request.
>
>     Any comments?

There was a GREAT article on this topic in one of the more recent "classic
motorposrts" mag (formerly British Car). I would suggest reading it.

The bottom line is that DOT3, 4 and 5.1 are pretty much the same stuff
with boiling points that go up as a function of the number. DOT 5 is
(obviously) silicone based - totally different chemistry.

The conclusion of the article was (interestingly) that you should not use
DOT5 in our cars!

>From my perspective, I agree 100%. I don't see the point in worrying about
getting brake fluid on your paint - after all, for the vast majority of
folks out there, changing the brake fluid is an infrequent operation. And
if you utilize just a modicum of care in the process, you shouldn't spill
any stuff, and anyone that drives any car with leaky hydraulics deserves
to have thier paint peeling off... :-)

If you are starting out with a virgin brake system you might get away with
using silicone, but before I'd make my decision on the topic, I'd def.
read the article in Classic Motorsports.

Keep in mind that my perspective is a tad different than your
run-of-the-mill classic car nut - I swap out entire systems as a matter of
course on the drop of a hat. I flush my brake systems once a year or so
(I'm an autocrosser). I currently use the recommended fluid DOT 4. And I
only use Castrol LMA.

Regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |

Check out the new British Cars Forum: