removing intake and exhaust manifolds/replacing gasket

To: "6pack List" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: removing intake and exhaust manifolds/replacing gasket
From: "Campsmith, Michael" <MGC4@cdc.gov>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 12:57:26 -0400
Fellow listers--

I want to remove my exhaust manifold to paint it with high temp paint.
It seems logical that I should replace the gasket if I remove the
exhaust manifold, and to replace the gasket I also have to remove the
intake manifold.

The manifolds were taken off when the engine was rebuilt about 5 years
ago.  But since I've never done this before I wanted to get advice from
those of you who have "been there and done that".  Are there any special
pitfalls I should be aware of?  Also, the replacement gasket I have has
a shiny metallic side and a black paper side--which side goes against
the block?

Thanks if advance for your advice.

Michael Campsmith
1974 TR6 (now in slightly less than a million pieces)

Check out the new British Cars Forum: