Re: performance upgrade

To: ShewFamily@aol.com
Subject: Re: performance upgrade
From: Jim Jones <jimjcmo@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 09:43:35 -0700 (PDT)
Dear List:

What can I say? You all provided me with a treasure trove of information! It
has been a real learning experience. The summation of what I have learned
follows:

1. A lighter flywheel will let the motor rev more easily and helps somewhat
with initial acceleration from stop. After that it provides little or no
performance boost.

2. Many of you suggested lightening my current flywheel in lieu of buying an
alloy unit.

3. Most other respondents recommended the CR increase - better efficiency,
breathing, etc.

4. Dick Taylor, whom many of us respect, suggested installing a mild cam
instead of the two options I proposed. He said if have to choose one thing to
do, the cam will provide the most benefit and will not unduly stress other
engine components. Since I have a low mileage car (55K) the other parts of the
motor should be okay.

I was about to embark on this project next, but another "problem" came up. I
pulled my gearbox (A Type OD) to see about fixing some leaks. I then discovered
why it made a constant noise when the clutch wasn't engaged. My clutch is mess!
So now I get to buy one of those new Gunst bearings with my new clutch from
TRF. Probably have to get some linkage parts, too. What fun.

Thanks again for all of your help, folks.

Jim

Check out the new British Cars Forum: