Throw out bearings

To: "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Throw out bearings
From: "G Rierson" <glenn.rierson@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 18:11:42 -0500
A while back when I had the engine out for work I decided to replace the throw
out bearing that was in place and I was not having problems with it.  I
replaced the existing bearing with the "Gunst" bearing I got in Don's first
group of bearing purchaser's.
I will be dropping the transmission next week for what I am sure is clutch
fork pin problems.  While I have had the bearing in I have had chirping and
vibration.  I am convinced the chirping and vibration are from mis-alignment
of the throw out bearing from not properly using the dowels supplied with the
Gunst bearing.  I have also had clutch "fade" in that the clutch shifts fairly
well when cold but when warm it is difficult to get into gear.  My mechanic
made an adjustable clutch push rod for me to diagnose the problem with, but
unfortunately increasing the push rod length is only a temporary fix until the
clutch components heat up (I currently have the push rod clevis pin in the top
hole of the clutch lever).  I am using the original pre-load recommendation of
15 lbs.

Until I can look at the the clutch internals, I won't know the reasons for my
problems.  My question is about the throw out bearing I removed.  It is
stamped with the word "Green" and the part number the TRF used in their old
catalog - 142465.  Is this the RHP bearing that is considered a good one (but
now down graded in the most current issue of the TRF parts catalog).
Depending on what I find, I may go back to the old (new) bearing if it is a
RHP.

Your assistance will be put to use.

Glenn Rierson
'70 TR6