Re: Gunst Bearing kit--HPGN1

To: "Kai M. Radicke" <kradicke@wishboneclassics.com>
Subject: Re: Gunst Bearing kit--HPGN1
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 18:06:49 -0400
Kai M. Radicke wrote:

> Or the bearing in use by Gunst and BPNW is not meant to be in constant
> contact at all.  The Dodge bearing I mentioned earlier (BCA2065 for those
> interested, although I stress I have no conclusions about this bearing yet),
> is quite stiff also.  The Federal Mogul / BCA bearing catalogue specifically
> states that there should be adequate free play between the bearing thrust
> face and the clutch and that it should not be in constant contact with the
> pressure plate fingers, for the Dodge bearing.

Guess I don't understand that. It would seem a stiff bearing would come
up to speed slower and would therefore be more prone to sliding on
the fingers and squealing. A loose bearing would come up to speed faster
and be less prone to squealing.

I had assumed preload was meant to keep the the bearing in contact with
the fingers in order to extend the slave cylinder shaft so the clutch
was self adjusting.

Starting to sound like some bearings slide on the fingers but don't
squeal? I don't get it.

:-)

Don Malling

Check out the new British Cars Forum: