Re: "Hot Oil Bath"

To: Sally or Dick Taylor <tr6taylor@webtv.net>
Subject: Re: "Hot Oil Bath"
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 18:26:22 -0400
Hi Dick,

My RHP bearing is still in the transmission case on the garage floor. It
has 60K miles. I cleaned up the transmission case with kerosene and
gasoline and a brush. I had no intentions of ever using the RHP again,
because I have a Gunst on the shelf, so I wasn't careful to not get the
gasoline and kerosene on the bearing. I really can't remember if I did
or not, or to what extent I did.

What is your opinion of the RHP at this point? Randall seems to kind'a
think that maybe the RHP problem was a lubricant thing and maybe they
fixed it. Have recent RHP bearings been failing to your knowledge? If I
was of a mind to use an RHP rather than my Gunst, would you recommend
getting a new RHP, or giving my old one a hot oil bath (GC_LB hot grease
bath)? Or maybe just stick with the original plan and go with the Gunst?
I guess I'm impressed without how easily my RHP turns as compared to the
Gunst. It feels very smooth to me. Makes me wonder about a stiff t/o
bearing.

A second question on wheel bearing grease: You seem to refer to it a lot
-- using wheel bearing grease. I believe GC_LB is the highest rating for
wheel bearing grease -- maybe any automotive grease. Is there any reason
I can't use Extreme Pressure GC_LB wheel bearing grease in the U-Joints,
drive shaft spline, axle splines and suspension? That is, most anywhere,
unless oil is called for such as in the Vertical Link Trunions?

One last question. I've put together a Justin Wagnerian Trunion oiler
but am not sure what kind of oil to use (Randall will kill me for asking
that question :-) ). I checked my notes and can't find it. I assume a
GL4 gear oil is OK. Same thing I use in the differential? Will RedLine
gear oil do?

Don Malling

Check out the new British Cars Forum: