"Hot Oil Bath"

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: "Hot Oil Bath"
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 11:44:49 -0700
Jay---Thinking that the problem with RHP bearings wearing out, or at
least making that underable noise so quickly might be lube related, I
also experimented with adding to it.  I used heavy duty wheel bearing
grease and a bearing packer to force grease in thru the seams of the
bearing case. I did not liquify the grease, tho it seems like this
method would have some advantage.

I still have this "repacked" bearing in a sealed bag. I did test it
under bench load and admit that it changed the sounds that it made a lot
healthier. (I use a stethoscope for these kinds of tests) Meanwhile,
other bearings were being marketed, so I never put the RHP into service.
It could very well be that the MG shop has at least a partial answer to
what plagues some of the RHP bearings!

Dick

From: jay_welch@juno.com(Jay Welch) (PDT+7) To: tr6taylor@webtv.net

 I remember speaking to a very well respected British Car Shop
proprietor (mostly MGs)in our area a couple of years ago and he
mentioned that was was a very common practice to heat a pot of grease to
a liquid consistency and drop the release bearings in for a little bath.
I have no idea what type of grease was used. If I recall correctly, the
RHP is not a sealed type bearing like the Toyota or Gunst.
Jay Welch, Abington Massachusetts, TR6s
-- tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor) wrote:
  "loose" bearing (RHP or others) will certainly spin easier, but
could
also indicate that the grease is gone, and the next phase is bearing
disintegration.

Check out the new British Cars Forum: