RE: Air cleaner mods

To: <richard.r.olson@faa.gov>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Air cleaner mods
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 10:54:32 -0700
        Rick:

        This is a very good mod, and it is sooo easy. Yes, your numbers
are
right. 4 HP for free, or so it seems.
        At some point, bigger is not better, as the tube is not a
restriction and
the velocity of the air in the pipe is low enough that it begins to heat
up on
it's way to the carbs (i.e. it has time to absorb heat from it's
surroundings). Not
likely with the size you have used, and it is plenty big enough to not
be a restriction
to the airflow.
        As for the carb calibrations, they will change slightly. Your
mixture will
tend to lean out a bit, since the density of the air goes up.
        Carburetors add fuel based on the VOLUME of air that flows
through them.
The ZS makes some attempt to correct this with the temperature
compensators, but
these are primarily effective at idle. As the air cools, the MASS of air
increases,
but the volume the engine uses stays the same (i.e. the DENSITY of the
air increases).
The ZS carbs will see the same VOLUME, and add the same amount of fuel,
but because the
mass has gone up, the mixture becomes too lean.
        This is where EFI shines. If you have a MAF (Mass air flow)
sensor, you directly
measure the mass. If you have a MAP (Manifold Air Pressure) sensor and
an air temperature
sensor you can compute the mass of the incoming air charge. Pretty
spiffy.
        Anyway, it is a great little mod. The Euro spec TR6s came stock
with this feature.
The poor Yankees got the castrated version of the car. Too bad.

        Vance