TR6 or TVR overheating woes

To: <me@jasonwgeorge.ca>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 or TVR overheating woes
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 07:43:41 -0700
        Jason:

        Sounds like your cooling system is full of scale and/or rust.
The drain plug should allow coolant to drain freely from the block. If
you
removed it and nothing happened, your block is full of sediment of some
sort.
        It does not mean anything is wrong, but your engine is 30 years
old,
and if not scrupulously cared for, eventually the block will fill with
sediment. This stuff can clog radiators, and close off smaller coolant
passages.
        It is difficult to get out, short of popping the head off and
using
a welding rod to break it up. There may be something that comes in a
bottle
you can add to the cooling system to dissolve or break it up, but I have
never
heard of such a thing. Perhaps someone else on the list has had success
with
some product? I know phosphoric acid (a.k.a. Naval Jelly) will dissolve
rust.
Maybe there is some product based on that?
        Anyway, to drain the block, you will need to jam a piece of
welding rod or
some other stiff wire in there to break up the scale and let the coolant
out.
        Keep us posted.

        Vance