TR6 or TVR overheating woes

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 or TVR overheating woes
From: me@jasonwgeorge.ca
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 08:11:57 +0100 (BST)
Hi all,

So, I have a '73 TVR 2500M with the TR6 engine that has recently enjoyed a
complete rebuild, including the engine.

The reason for this rebuild was primarily problems stemming from chronic
overheating. As I am now getting the car back on the road, I am
understandably concerned (perhaps paranoid!) about the cooling system.

My cooling system is modified to be pressurized. Theoretically, it should
work: I have a small reservoir and rad cap in-line in the top rad hose.
Overflow goes to an overflow tank. The top rad hose goes into a larger
Volvo Turbo radiator that is at least twice the size of the stock TVR
unit.

So, my capacity should be close to stock. I've lost the big expansion tank
but gained a bigger rad.

Filling the system today I had massive problems - the rad wasn't heating
evenly and I could only get about 4 liters of coolant in (70/30 mix).
After tearing my hair out a friend suggested it is likely a massive air
lock.

Is this common with the TR6 engine? is it supposed to be this difficult to
fill? any comments on my setup? suggestions?

My engine seems to have a water tap that has been plugged off on the
rear-passenger side of the engine. Removing the plug I encounter pretty
solid gunk. Is it possible this tap was not drilled all the way through or
is it likely there's just a lot of packed sediment in there (even after
the block was cleaned)?

At this point, all comments are welcome. Thanks in advance!
Jason

Check out the new British Cars Forum: