Re: TR6 or TVR overheating woes

To: 6pack list <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 or TVR overheating woes
From: Peter Macholdt <vze2846b@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 13:19:21 -0400
Jason,

I hate to even mention this, but it sure sounds like the coolant passages in
the  block were never really cleared. Cleaning out the block is not an easy
process and I understand that sometimes the crud is not dislodged. This
would also explain the difficulty you are having getting coolant into the
system.

Regarding your question about break-in, don't use synthetic during the
break-in period (see Roger Williams book, How to Restore Triumph TR5/250 &
TR6, Chapter 8). He recommends not using synthetics until after 6,000 miles
(and perhaps 9,000 miles).

Good luck with the cooling problem. Please keep us posted.

Peter
'68 TR250

on 8/30/04 3:11 AM, me@jasonwgeorge.ca at me@jasonwgeorge.ca wrote:

> So, I have a '73 TVR 2500M with the TR6 engine that has recently enjoyed a
> complete rebuild, including the engine.
>
> The reason for this rebuild was primarily problems stemming from chronic
> overheating. As I am now getting the car back on the road, I am
> understandably concerned (perhaps paranoid!) about the cooling system...
>
> Filling the system today I had massive problems - the rad wasn't heating
> evenly and I could only get about 4 liters of coolant in (70/30 mix).
> After tearing my hair out a friend suggested it is likely a massive air
> lock.
>
> Is this common with the TR6 engine? is it supposed to be this difficult to
> fill? any comments on my setup? suggestions?
>
> My engine seems to have a water tap that has been plugged off on the
> rear-passenger side of the engine. Removing the plug I encounter pretty
> solid gunk. Is it possible this tap was not drilled all the way through or
> is it likely there's just a lot of packed sediment in there (even after
> the block was cleaned)?

Check out the new British Cars Forum: