Re: Torque Wrenches

To: "Kendall Larsen" <mailkendall@sbcglobal.net>,
Subject: Re: Torque Wrenches
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kradicke@wishboneclassics.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 18:02:52 -0400
> I'd like to hear opinions on torque wrenches. Do you prefer
> the type with the pointer on torque graph, or the "clicker"
> type that you dial in the setting?
>
> Kendall

I have one of both, and I use both.

While click-type torque wrenches are more convenient, they can be much less
accurate, with deviances of +/- 5% of the torque figure you are trying to
acheive.  Admittingly, there are very few fasteners in our TRs where +/- 5%
in the torque spec is going to matter.  Continuing with the accuracy
argument, click-type wrenches should be recalibrated every so often.

The benefits of the beam style torque wrench, with its torque gauge, is that
they are very cheap.  You can reset them yourself, simply rebend the needle
to the zero position (while the beam is at rest).  And they are as accurate
as  your eyesight, because you are ultimately the one who has to make the
judgement that the torque is say 67.5ft lbs when the needle is between 65
and 70 ft lbs.

Kai

--
Kai M. Radicke