RE: Battery Box Repair Parts

To: Todd Bermudez <red_tr250@yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: Battery Box Repair Parts
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 12:56:53 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 13 Dec 2004, Todd Bermudez wrote:

> John,

All...

> Aside from having a battery box fab'd, try to find a
> parts car & cut it out.  I would think it would be
> cheaper than having a 1 off made.

All these solutions are def. worth considering:

1. new
2. fabricated
3. parts car.

The problem with 1 is when they become available. I ordered one of these
puppies from TRF when they first announced the availability and I recieved
farily soon after I ordered it. It's in the basement (somewhere). :-)

The problem of 2 can be expense, but to be honest a good panel beater
should be able to cook something up for between $100 and $150. The part is
not too  complicated, the toughest think to duplicate is the two dimples
on either side of the batter shelf itself as they are semi-round.

The problem with 3 is deciding how to keep the part that you need without
wrecking it. The battery shelf is one of those parts that the car is built
around... so you have to sacrifice a lot of stuff to get that part.

More to the point, however is that on most parts cars the battery shelf if
pretty nasty with corrosion.

Bottom line - you need to make a dertmination at the time of the repair on
which course is cheaper and more likely to result in a satisfying repair.
If certain options are not available, then you need to decide how
important substituing the others is.

If it makes anyone feel better, the battery shelf on the street car has a
bunch of pinholes and it's been on the list for a long time to fix it. I
guess I'll add that to the list of projects for the winter.

On the race car, I just too some 16 gauge steel and bent a lip on both
sides and stiched it in. It's not pretty, but the holes were fixed.

> My 2 cents,
>
> Todd Bermudez
> 74TR6
> TR250

Regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |