Re: First encounter with.....

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: First encounter with.....
From: Flemming Larsen <flarsen@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 23:30:01 -0700 (PDT)
Robert,

May you be so fortunate that this is the worst Lucas
electrics problem you'll ever encounter.

This should be easy to troubleshoot and easy to fix.

1. Remove one or both wires from the brake switch.
   Brake lights should be off.

2. Reconnect wires to brake light switch. Brake
   lights should still be off with brake pedal in the
   normal position.

If the lights are on in step 2, you have one of two
possible problems.

Remove brake switch. With both wires still connected,
you should be able to make the lights go off and on
by pushing and releasing the plunger of the switch
with a finger.

If not, you have a bad switch.

If the switch works when removed from the mounting
bracket, reinstall in reverse order, then check that
the brake pedal lever depresses the plunger of the
switch in the normal position.

With these simple tests, you will have tested both
the wiring harness to the brake lights, and the brake
switch itself, and you didn't even have to worry about
understanding anything about electricity.

If none of these tests bring you closer to fixing the
problem, you may have a more serious problem, such as
a short somewhere in your wiring harness, but I doubt
it.

Most electrical problems are simple and easy to fix,
as long as you don't go to deeply into the theory of
electricity and electrical wiring.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

-- Flemming Larsen