The Big Bang

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: The Big Bang
From: stubeatty@aol.com
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 12:53:32 -0400
Last week I took the 6 out for a drive and just as I was accelerating onto the
highway, there came a loud bang from behind me and entire car shuddered. I
pulled off the highway, looked under the car, but could not see any obvious
damage. I got back in and started to pull away very slowly and I could here a
regular banging like a hammer hitting the frame of the car. It repeated
regularly like something rotating was hitting the frame. I managed to get the
car home, which was only a mile away. When it bangs, the frame of the car
shudders and you can feel the vibration in the driver's seat.

Yesterday I had her up on axle stands looking around for a broken yoke on the
axles or broken suspension parts but could not seen anything wrong. I was not
able to get under the car completely to check out the drive shaft.

Any suggestions as to what this may be?

Stuart Beatty
"broken" 76 TR6 at the height of the sportscar driving season
Belleville Ontario