Re: The Big Bang

To: stubeatty@aol.com
Subject: Re: The Big Bang
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 14:03:31 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 stubeatty@aol.com wrote:

> Last week I took the 6 out for a drive and just as I was accelerating
> onto the highway, there came a loud bang from behind me and entire car
> shuddered. I pulled off the highway, looked under the car, but could
> not see any obvious damage. I got back in and started to pull away
> very slowly and I could here a regular banging like a hammer hitting
> the frame of the car. It repeated regularly like something rotating
> was hitting the frame. I managed to get the car home, which was only a
> mile away. When it bangs, the frame of the car shudders and you can
> feel the vibration in the driver's seat.
>
>  Yesterday I had her up on axle stands looking around for a broken
> yoke on the axles or broken suspension parts but could not seen
> anything wrong. I was not able to get under the car completely to
> check out the drive shaft.
>
> Any suggestions as to what this may be?

been there, done that.

It sounds like the ring/pinion failure.

Is there a "crunchy" sound too? If so, that's the parts making everything
else inside the case useless.

Sorry for your loss.

A replacement diff shouldn't be too exspensive from "one of the breakers".

To confirm - try to spin both rear wheels in the same direction at the
same time... it'll make less sound because you're not spinning the gears
with 100 HP (unless you've been eating a lot of WHeaties and large cans of
Spinach). Then try holding one wheel and spinning the other... the sounds
should be eminating from the "pumpkin".

If you were able to drive after this noise, you're lucky. Sometimes the
rear wheels lock up when a borken tooth gets jammed in the ring/pinion.

> Stuart Beatty
> "broken" 76 TR6 at the height of the sportscar driving season
> Belleville Ontario

Bob "the don't call me BLANG for nothing" Lang
:-)
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: xxx-xxx-xxxx