Re The Big Bang

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re The Big Bang
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 14:11:05 -0700
Stu---Maybe you'll be lucky and find that one of the flange bolts has
just backed out of the propshaft and is hitting on something stationary.
This happened to an owner at the Reno Triumphest last October. He was
sure that the problem was internal, so he took up the offer to have a
spare diff brought in. Only when taking out his own diff did he discover
one bolt had backed out and was doiing the banging. Sort of a happy
ending!

Dick

stubeatty@aol.com Date: Tue, Jul 5, 2005, Subject: The Big Bang
Last week I took the 6 out for a drive and just as I was accelerating
onto the highway, there came a loud bang from behind me and entire car
shuddered. I pulled off the highway, looked under the car, but could not
see any obvious damage. I got back in and started to pull away very
slowly and I could here a regular banging like a hammer hitting the
frame of the car. It repeated regularly like something rotating was
hitting the frame. I managed to get the car home, which was only a mile
away. When it bangs, the frame of the car shudders and you can feel the
vibration in the driver's seat.
Yesterday I had her up on axle stands looking around for a broken yoke
on the axles or broken suspension parts but could not seen anything
wrong. I was not able to get under the car completely to check out the
drive shaft.
Any suggestions as to what this may be?
Stuart Beatty
"broken" 76 TR6 at the height of the sportscar driving season Belleville
Ontario