Ring Gear

To: "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ring Gear
From: "John & Allison Cyganowski" <janah@att.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 06:43:52 -0400
Hi All-

So while my transmission is out, I thought I would try pull the flywheel and
maybe replace the rear oilseal.  I was able to remove the flywheel (I braced
a small prybar in the ring gear teeth).  Thanks to all for the suggestions
regarding removal tips.  So now I have a few more questions:

1.) What does the pilot bushing do?  Mine looks a little beat in the middle
so I suppose I will replace it.
2.) How difficult is it to replace that rear oil seal?  Looks like the
engine plate has to come off? Do I need any special tools for the seal?

I thought I would have my flywheel re-surfaced.  Surprisingly the ring gear
looks pretty chewed up. I am surprised, because the car always cranks great
and never misses or grinds.  My thought was "Don't fix something that isn't
broke". However, my engine guy has pointed out that the ring gear appears to
be installed backwards.  It looks like the lead-in bevel on the ring gear is
facing backwards towards the clutch face and not towards the front and the
starter gear.  I just don't think I want to put it back that way.

3.) How hard is it to replace the ring gear?  How do you get it off?  How do
you get it on? (Oven and freezer?) My engine guys says he will do it for
$24.  A good deal?

4.) So now I guess I better take a look at the starter gear.  How hard is
this to replace?

Thanks
John Cyg.
Grinding of teeth (mine not the ring gear!)