Retrofitting metal vent lid to later cars

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Retrofitting metal vent lid to later cars
From: "Foster, Stan" <stan.foster@hp.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 14:50:56 -0400
I am investigating the viability of retrofitting the metal vent cover to
the later cars to replace that cheap plastic grille. I think it will
look better and will help keep water out of the plenum. From my cursory
examination it looks doable. All of the parts are still available new
(lid, spring, seal, activation rod) for around $50.00. The three holes
in the rear are there to help mount the hinge. The one thing I have not
yet seen is how the spring is attached to the front wall of the plenum.
If I recall correctly there are two or more clips that the spring slots
into but I have no information about where the spring needs to be
positioned so that the mechanism works correctly. I wonder if anyone has
a diagram or a photo or could help me out with a description or some
measurements of that spring mounting ?. If this works out I will
document it for posterity if that hasn't been done already.

Stan