Steering rack mounting questions

To: "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Steering rack mounting questions
From: "John VanNorman" <jvannorman@wowway.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 07:54:54 -0500
Maybe someone can confirm my thoughts here.  I've noticed that the passenger
side front tire on my car extends out from
the side of the car further than the driver side tire.  Also, the steering
wheel itself doesn't sit completely level
when driving straight (i.e., it is turned to the left slightly).  However, when
driving it I've never really noticed any
problems with the car drifting to one side or the other.  I'm not an expert on
front end alignment, but it seems to me
that maybe the steering rack has shifted ever so slightly to the passenger's
side.  And what reconfirms my thoughts is
the fact that in the bin of old parts the previous owner gave me, there are two
old rubber steering rack mountings -
which leads me to think he replaced the old ones and in doing so didn't get the
steering rack back on properly.  Am I
crazy?  Are there other more likely explanations?

On a related note, those of you that have installed the Goodparts alloy
steering rack mounts, since it is so hard to
screw in the bolts, what steps are you taking to insure that the steering rack
is perfectly aligned when you tighten
everything down?  With as difficult as it sounds to install them, it doesn't
seem like it would be easy to adjust things
later on.

John V.
1974 1/2 TR6
CF28149