RE: Steering rack mounting questions

To: "John VanNorman" <jvannorman@wowway.com>, "6pack"
Subject: RE: Steering rack mounting questions
From: "Foster, Stan" <stan.foster@hp.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 08:24:36 -0400
John, its sounds like your steering column mounts need checking and the
front end aligning. When the rubber bushes are replaced it takes some
care and skill to compress them so that the rack is firmly attached to
the frame and side to side movement is eliminated. There are flanges
that stop the rack moving about too much but even slight movement makes
the steering vague.

When the Gooparts or any other mounts are fitted there is no adjustment.
The goal is to not allow the rack to move. All lateral adjustment is via
the track rod ends. The Goodparts mounts are a good part :-), don't be
put off by the discussion of the fixing bolts.

In general the front end needs aligning whenever you do any major work
on the steering or suspension.

Stan