Re: brake lights not working

To: Lizirbydavis@cs.com
Subject: Re: brake lights not working
From: Rob Pennington <robp@ncsa.uiuc.edu>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 18:09:05 -0500
Hi,

I cleaned the sockets, bulbs and housing until they just sparkled (or
is that sparked?) but finally bought a set of the new sockets that
have a ground wire connection on each socket.

The set of sockets was ~$30 for all six.  The installation required a
few feet of #14 black wire, a crimping tool and the appropriate
connectors; spades for the sockets and rings for the connection to
the body.   I daisy chained the ground wire between the sockets and
have a single connection to the body for each side.  The spade
connectors that I used on two of the sockets for each side were for
#10/12 wire since there were two #14 wires going to each socket.  The
last socket in the daisy chain only had a single wire and the
connector was for a #14 gauge wire.

There is already a connector in place for a ground wire from the
harness to the housing and that could be used as well.

So far, the smoke has stayed in the wires and all is working well.

Rob
74 TR6 daily driver, finally with reliable brake lights