Re: brake lights not working

To: <Lizirbydavis@cs.com>
Subject: Re: brake lights not working
From: "Jeff Fetner" <fetnerj001@hawaii.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 15:52:44 -1000
Hi Joe,

  It's probably a bad ground (i.e, no ground) caused by a bad socket.  I had
the same problem, which turned out to be internal corrosion between the
silver prong ring that fits into the light housing and the brass part that
connects to the bulb base.  They just fit one on top of the other in the
socket, held in (and together) by the plastic rim of the socket itself.
It's not made to come apart, so you run the risk of breaking the socket.
  Being in Hawaii with not much to fall back on in the way of parts, I took
a very small screwdriver and forced the silver ring out of the plastic base.
Forget trying to solder it to the other part...at least I couldn't.  I
cleaned with a Dremel and reassembled with dielectric grease.  It's worked
so far, but the sockets with separate grounds that Rob described sound the
best.  Depends on how much time you have to fix.  Good luck!

Jeff
74 CF13816U

Subject: brake lights not working