Headliner woes

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Headliner woes
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 09:36:56 -0700
        Folks:

        I am in the midst of an interesting little project on the TR6.

        Long ago I purchased a factory hard top. It was bead blasted,
repainted, and I am now attempting to reassemble it. The original
headliner was badly stained and so fragile that merely touching it would
cause a tear. A complete overhaul was in order.
        After waiting 2 months for TRF to deliver a headliner kit, I
finally gave up and ordered from John Skinner. TRF was unable to supply
an ETA for the headliner kit. I really like those folks but having been
on the backorder list with those folks before, I know when to cut my
losses. John Skinner had it to me in 10 days.
        I am now attempting to install the headliner, but I will be
darned if I can figure out how to get all the wrinkles out. I have
tugged and pulled and used colorful language, but the headliner is still
a mass of ripples and wrinkles. I used a heat gun set on low, and
reduced a few of the ripples with some patience, but they do not
disappear. I have stretched the liner for a week now, using spring clips
to hold it in place on the top, hoping that I would come out one morning
and all the ripples would be gone. No luck. The material is very
slightly "stretchy" but not so much so that I feel I can just pull on
the corners and get the ripples to disappear. Besides, there is only so
much strength in my feeble, old arms.
        What have people done about this? Do they fade over weeks or
months (I doubt it)? Is there a magic incantation or spray-on wrinkle
remover (Oil of Olay)? Or do I just give up and go to an automotive
upholstery shop and pay out the big bucks? Any instructions on the web
that anyone knows of?

        Frustrated,

        Vance