RE: Head Gasket Troubles Revisited

To: "Cary Henry" <caryhenry@hotmail.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Head Gasket Troubles Revisited
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 12:19:31 -0700
        Cary:

        Are you using the correct head gasket? Do NOT assume that the
motor in your car is the original, and that therefore you can order a
head gasket by model year alone.

        There are two different head gaskets, and they are not
interchangeable, even though they will physically fit on either motor.
When you take your head off, look at the deck of the block. Are there
recesses machined around the top of each cylinder bore? They will be
about 0.015" deep. If so, you need the later style head gasket, and it
must be installed CORRECT SIDE UP. The gasket will fit neatly upside
down, but it will fail in short order. The later gasket will have steel
fire rings around each cylinder, which must be mated with the
corresponding grooves on the motor. When properly installed, this gasket
will have a small tab at the REAR of the motor extending from between
the head and the block.

        If your engine has no grooves around the bores, then you need
the earlier head gasket which does not have the steel fire rings. Check
carefully, but I believe this gasket can be installed either side up. In
either case, using the wrong or improperly installed gasket will result
in the symptoms you describe.

        My car used the later gasket, but my DPO did not know which way
to put it in. Of course he put it on upside down (tab was at the front
of the motor instead of the rear). I had one half the normal compression
on my #6 cylinder as a result. This is how I learned about the differing
head gaskets.

        So check carefully during your tear down. If you have the wrong
gasket or it is installed improperly, 95% chance that is the source of
your problems.

        Vance