Head Gasket Troubles Revisited

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Head Gasket Troubles Revisited
From: "Cary Henry" <caryhenry@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 13:45:40 -0400
As you all know, I was having some head gasket leaking issues on my project
76 TR6.  I removed the head, cleaned up all corrosion and dirt on the block
and head with scotch brite, checked the head for warpage (found none) and
replaced the head gasket.  I torqued all of the bolts to 75 lb-ft in 15
lb-ft increments.  The engine was fine for a couple of weeks, but is now
seeping coolant again at the rear of the head right at the seam between the
block and the head.  I believe the head must be warped at the rear because I
am not burning coolant, and there doesn't appear to be any coolant in the
oil.  I will be disassembling the head and bringing it to a local machine
shop to get it magnafluxed and checked for warpage.  When I reattach the
head I plan on using permatex copper spray-a-gasket sealant on both sides of
the head gasket.  I would like to recondition the head while it is
disassembled.  What parts should I replace?  The valves and springs look
good, but should I replace the valve guides?  Also, will a standard overhead
valve spring compressor be able to remove the double springs on the TR6
head?  Sorry about all of the questions and thanks for your help!
Cary Henry