J type overdrive quandry

To: "'Triumph 6 Pack'" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: J type overdrive quandry
From: "Mark J. Bradakis" <mjb@autox.team.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 18:29:29 -0600
I do know a few things about Triumphs, but overdrives are not one of my
strongest areas.  Perhaps someone on this list might have some helpful
hints.

I'm working on a car with a freshly rebuilt overdrive, it is claimed.
It doesn't work. Hooked up a pressure gauge, took a trip around the block.
Zero pressure in direct drive, 15 - 25 pounds with the solenoid engaged.
Seems like the pump non-return valve, I think.  Pull that out, check it out,
shim the spring a bit.  Now 20 pounds in direct drive, zero in overdrive.
Something odd is going on here, suggestions on what to check next before
taking the whole unit out of the car?

--
mjb.

http://fatchancegarage.com

"Where you've been is good and gone, all you keep is the gettin' there."