Re: Mallory distributors and electronic tachmeters

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Mallory distributors and electronic tachmeters
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 22:48:23 -0700
 Andy---Far from ideal, but till you get the tach you want, what you now
have will still get you down the street, with some minor mods.

 If your vacuum advance canister is still functioning on your
distributor (assuming you have both adv. and ret.) you can connect the
"advance" to port vacuum on the intake manifold. Your timing will be
advanced, (set it at 24 deg. BTDC at idle) but will retard under load,
to stay out of pinging.

If your advancing canister is NOT working, or you don't have one, set
the timing for the same 24 deg. BTDC and don't romp on it during this
setting.

Any idea why the centrifugal advance part of this dist. isn't working?

Dick

From:
apackard68@comcast.net(Andrew Packard) Mallory distributors and
electronic tachometers
Since I went to the triple Webers, I don't have any vacuum advance. The
mechanical advance isn't even working in my stock distributor. My local
LBC consultant has suggested the dual point Mallory system sold by Moss.
He has no direct experience with it, but would like to see me give it a
try. Off course, there's no drive to spin the tach cable in the Mallory
unit, so Moss has a note telling us an electronic tach is needed with
this setup. I emailed Palo Alto Speedometer to ask if my original Smith
unit can be changed on the inside to run as an electronic unit, but that
was just today. Anyone have any experience with the Mallory unit and/or
an electronic tachometer in their TR?
Andy
CD6746L