RE: Goodparts GP2 cam, was Ignition timing at high RPM

To: "'Robert M. Lang'" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Subject: RE: Goodparts GP2 cam, was Ignition timing at high RPM
From: Dave Murray <murr32@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 12:30:42 -0600
Robert,

I am running ZS carbs with modified needles.  I agree my problem is ignition
related, the GP2 cam seems to be very nice for street use, very smooth when
the timing is right.  I am chasing an ignition problem that shows up when
using a timing light on the #1 plug wire.  The timing mark will appear
correctly then disappear occasionally; it actually shows up ~120 degrees
clockwise from vertical.  If I connect the light to #6 plug wire everything
is stable (any other plug wire shows a stable position).  I have swapped
plug wires, cap, rotor, tried points, Crane XR700, and Petronix to no avail.
I am currently running with points.

Any suggestions welcome.

Dave