Re: Goodparts GP2 cam, was Ignition timing at high RPM

To: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Subject: Re: Goodparts GP2 cam, was Ignition timing at high RPM
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 14:20:31 -0400 (EDT)
Hi,

I don't want to diminish anything that Vance said, but I wanted to throw
in the following to the mix...

make absolutely certain that your distributor is doing the "right thing"
before you start considering internal fixes (like rocker arms or cam
replacement). I mention this because I have had first hand experience
where a distributor with a "stuck" mechanical advance showed similar
symptoms.

the part about the motor coming alive at 2k (or above) makes me suspect
the ignition more than the cam. The GP2 is not really hairy and should
"come on" a bit more smoothly than ON/OFF.

I can't recall if the initial post indicated Webers or not, but if so,
contact me off-list for some pointers. Webers will also give you ON/OFF
performance when they are tuned wrong. Not fun at all!

rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: xxx-xxx-xxxx