RE: Stock Deck Clearance

To: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>,
Subject: RE: Stock Deck Clearance
From: "Shawn J. Loseke" <sloseke@holly.colostate.edu>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 10:19:34 -0600
>===== Original Message From "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
=====
>       Nick:
>
>       Kas Kastner in his competition manual says most TR6s are about
>0.017" recessed. You should not need to worry about this however. Just
>tell your machinist you want the block "Zero decked" and he will measure
>it and get it exactly right.

Stress the ZERO part. My machinist, who is used to building race engines, went
negative. My pistons stand proud of the block by  nearly .015"! Luckily he
hadn't shaved the head at that point so I was able to "re-adjust" for the new
deck height. Needless to say, I didn't get the grooves cut back in as mine
didn't have them originally. You can always use the early gasket if you don't
have the grooves.

Shawn J. Loseke
Fort Collins, CO
http://www.triumphowners.com/79   (1972 TR6)