Long brake pedal travel

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Long brake pedal travel
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 10:44:22 -0700
        Folks:

        Here is a problem I have not seen discussed very much.

        I have noticed that occasionally the first time I use the brakes
in the TR6 I will get a long pedal travel before the brakes engage. This
is most likely to happen if the car has not been driven in a week or so.
        When I first use the brakes (generally while backing out of the
driveway) I get a loud click that seems to be coming from the right
front caliper, as if one of the pistons has just popped loose and
smacked up against the rotor. After that first use, the brakes are
great. Firm pedal, short travel, no noises.
        It seems like perhaps a piston is retracting too far back into
the caliper. The first use of the brakes pushes it back out and life is
good thereafter.

        Anyone else had similar issues (it seems like someone has, but
my memory is so dodgy any more)? Is there a cure, or is it simply a
matter of learning to live with Lockheed brakes?

        Thanks,

        Vance