Re: Long brake pedal travel

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Long brake pedal travel
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 11:53:20 -0700
Vance---This is very common for our cars. The brake pedal drop shows up
more after turning sharp corners (backing out of driveways?), when the
rotors push the pistons back into the calipers. Limiting this knockback
is accomplished by making sure the wheel bearings are drawn up as tight
as one dares. (Then go another half-flat tighter)

Having front pads that are not worn uneven across their face is another
way to reduce the amount of piston travel when the brakes are first
applied. (Kastner wrote of this is one of the back Issues of 6PACK)

A big change in wheel camber also comes into play here, from the way the
caster angle tilts the wheels during turns. Not too much can be done
about this.

Dick

From:
vance.navarrette@intel.com(Navarrette, Vance)
                Folks:
                Here is a problem I have
not seen discussed very much.
                I have noticed that
occasionally the first time I use the brakes in the TR6 I will get a
long pedal travel before the brakes engage. This is most likely to
happen if the car has not been driven in a week or so.
                When I first use the
brakes (generally while backing out of the driveway) I get a loud click
that seems to be coming from the right front caliper, as if one of the
pistons has just popped loose and smacked up against the rotor. After
that first use, the brakes are great. Firm pedal, short travel, no
noises.
                It seems like perhaps a
piston is retracting too far back into the caliper. The first use of the
brakes pushes it back out and life is good thereafter.
                Anyone else had similar
issues (it seems like someone has, but my memory is so dodgy any more)?
Is there a cure, or is it simply a matter of learning to live with
Lockheed brakes?
                Thanks,
                Vance