Re: nyloc nuts

To: james mc arthur <jrmcarthur@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: nyloc nuts
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 12:45:46 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 14 Jul 2006, james mc arthur wrote:

>     Good Day to the list!
>         A ruling is requested from the collective wisdom. Should nyloc nuts
> be re-used? I have no idea whether they have been recycled before. Can they
> be re-used, and if so, how many times before they lose their locking
> ability? As always, thanks to all!.........Jim McArthur....TR6/ CF17672U

Without trying to be too funny, if you can thread a nylock nut on by hand,
it's too loose. If you can thread by hand 'till the bolt threads just
touch the nylon insert and then cannot thread it further, then the nut is
re-usable.

So, they can be reused, just make sure the nylon part is actually doing
something.

Oh, and if you're working with the rear axles (and prop shaft) nuts, then
loctite 'em even if the nuts are brand-new.

rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: xxx-xxx-xxxx