fender rust protection

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: fender rust protection
From: SamuelsMA@aol.com
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 17:35:47 EDT
Listers:

My car is in the body shop right now because the parts of the rear fenders
that wrap under the car have developed paint chips from small stones.
Superficial rust then developed in that area behind both rear tires.  The
underlying
metal is solid and all the rust has now been removed.

Short of installing mudflaps, what is the best approach to protect this  area
from further stone damage?  The same issue could apply to the rocker  panels
just behind the front wheels, although I don't see any stone chips or  rust in
that area.  I suggested to the body man that he use a  stone-resistant
"pebble finish" material under the paint on the area about which  I am
concerned.
He doesn't like those products very much, claiming that  they sometimes cause
paint yellowing.  Another idea was to apply some extra  layers of clear coat.
I'm wondering what others have done that  worked.

Thanks.

Michael
'76 Tahiti blue
Miami Beach, FL