J-Type Overdrive Questions

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: J-Type Overdrive Questions
From: acekraut11@aol.com
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 01:30:16 -0400
  Hi List,

 I am heading down the backstretch to adding a J-Type OD to a standard 4 speed
gearbox. Two questions have come up.

 The first is in regards to the placement of the spring clip that goes on the
mainshaft before installing the OD. If you go to the Moss Motors site at the
link below you can see the clip as number 3.

 http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=32778

 Vance I kept your email earlier which stated that you believed the clip went
under the cam and made the cam a press fit. I am not positive it will fit as
there doesnt appear to be enough room to install it that way. Does anyone have
any been there, done that advice?

 The second is what changes have to be made to speedo pinion gear and speedo
drive gear. I thought I had this right when I placed my order but something
isnt working with fellow lister Rick Patton's conversion since his speedo is
reading high. Does anyone know how many "starts" the speedo pinion gear should
have, 6 or 8. And what would be the corresponding speedo drive gear that would
be needed with each gear?

 I hope I am being at least somewhat clear. If not I can try to explain better.

 Thanks in advance for your help.

 Cheers,

 Aaron
    Aaron Cropley