rear axle removal

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: rear axle removal
From: "james mc arthur" <jrmcarthur@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 16:56:34 -0400
    Hello to all! I am attempting to disassemble the rear end components in
order to install new bushings, the tube shock conversion, and the new
u-joints. I have removed the 6 nuts (and in some cases, the studs as well )
that attach to the backing plate, and the 4 nuts and bolts that  join the
differential and axle flanges. I take it that the Bentley's "slide the
assembly out" is an understatement. The assembly will NOT budge. Have I
missed other attachment points? Is there a means to separate the assembly
that I am unaware of? I thought that I would seek the collective wisdom
before I make up a bracket and attempt to remove the axle assembly with a
slide hammer. Any and all thoughts are appreciated; I can be reached at
jrmcarthur@verizon.net. Thanks to all!!......Jim McArthur....1974 TR6